2011/11/11

To UGG Or Not To UGG?


source: Wall Street Journal, photograph by Stephen Lewis


It's that time of year, when they are gradually waking up from summer hibernation. The ubiquitous UGG boot. Taken out of their natural habitat, I know, that Australians (and probably the sheep as well) laugh their heads off at us wearing them out in the cold, especially in the snow, whereas Aussies, would never be seen in them outside their homes, dead or alive. With one exception though - the beach, to keep those feet warm after surfing. Because, little did we know, ice and wet weather don't do them or us any good. Wear UGGs in the rain and they will soak up the water like a sponge, and anyone who has worn them in the snow and hasn't nearly broken their leg....well, keep your fingers crossed! Not to mention the trashy fake UGGs you mostly see kids slumping about in (you know, the cheapo versions, where the top of the shoe rides over the sole, because there is no heel support, plus, bad soles that wear off quickly and make them walk slanted). Not only have the cheap ones upped the trash factor, but also the ultra expensive studded versions available at Jimmy Choo last year - they made me speechless. Then there is the UGG vs. Emu group, that will be able to tell you all about the pros and cons of each label (google it and you will be amazed). All made in China anyway, albeit with Aussie sheepskin. And what do you think of men wearing them? 
That said, I do rely on them in dry and cold weather, the classic short chestnut coloured version, that does save my feet from going blue. Ugly? A little. Cute? Well, yes, if you haven't got boat sized feet that make you look like a Yeti, then I think they are. AND they are sooooo comfy! Do men like them? What the heck, who cares...mine even likes Harem pants, so I cannot speak for others! 

What's your opinion on UGG boots?

10 comments:

It-Blogirls said...

LOVE UGGS !

kira said...

great post! love the uggs! I have three pairs. It can be really cold and snowy here so they are so functional. I have a few pairs of Australia Luxe Collective. Have you checked them out?

www.northernstyle.blog.com

Victoria said...

I hate them.Honestly.:)

Not Just A Pretty Dress said...

Brilliant post! I have to be honest, at the beginning I could not understand the hype around them...then six years ago I brother bought them for me as a Christmas present and I have to admit that I loved them. Not sure I would wear them every day, but for lazy and very cold week-ends they are perfect.

Fashionistable said...

I am afraid I think UGGS are UGGLY. In my eyes only to be worn around the house as slippers. Well written post though. Xxxx

the nyanzi report said...

i'm not a fan of UGGS. no matter what.

classiq said...

I am very categoric on this one: I hate them, I honestly do. I had a pair, but stopped wearing them, even if they did keep me warm like no other boot.
Ada

nookie said...

great in really cold weather but just for going to the market & co!

Luísa Lión said...

haha ich mag keine Uggs aber diese Werbung ist echt geil ;) ist die direkt von Ugg?

♥♥Style-Roulette♥♥

xoxo,
Luísa

My Styleadvisor said...

Hi Luisa, finde ich auch! Das Bild stand ursprünglich über einem Artikel im Wall Street Journal und ist keine Werbung von UGG. LG