2011/09/05

How To Make A Denim Skirt From An Old Pair Of Jeans


Recently I told you the story about my old denim jacket collection here. Well, it was the same with fabulous jeans. Some were too precious to throw away, like these old high waisted Wrangler jeans. They were ripped at the knee and the material was going really thin in that area, so I decided to chop the legs off and make a skirt out of them. I am not a sewing genius as you can see, but it's actually quite easy. First you think of what length you want ( I chose knee length), and then cut off the legs. Now you will have a pair of shorts. Leave about 2,5cm at the bottom to hem. Don't through the legs away because you will need the material to fill in between. Then cut along the inside of the legs, up to the crotch, and try it on. It will be mega wide and floppy and look very strange - that's where the chopped off jeans legs come in: Cut out a patch or two, I took two parts - overlap the crotch, place the patches underneath and pin them on to each side. Do the same at the back. Pin it all together at chosen width, and start sewing together. Apart from the bottom line that I did hem, I just sewed around all the other parts without turning them in, because I wanted the frayed out look (without the real fraying). It takes a little time and you might get slightly cross eyed during the process, but it's worth the effort. It's a fabulous and versatile piece in my wardrobe and it's still going strong!

6 comments:

Fashionistable said...

This is an interesting idea. I have only ever made shorts out my old jeans. Xxxx

classiq said...

I wouldn't have thought of making a skirt out of a pair of jeans. Nice idea. :)
Ada

Lee Oliveira said...

What a great idea..
Fabulous tips for my aussie girls.
Lee x

Bravoe Runway said...

This is an awesome idea to recycle what you already have in your closet to make it into sthg else!

the nyanzi report said...

what a great idea.

shooting star said...

interesting..but a pictorial would have been much better in explaining!!

http://sushmita-smile.blogspot.in/