2011/08/24

The Art Of The Shabby Shoe


These ankle boots are really old, but some of my favourites. I bought them second hand on a market. They weren't shiny from the beginning, that, their fantastic design and the fact they fitted, is what made me bag them straight away and I've kept them looking like that. I have never put coloured shoe polish on them, just some water resistent stuff, and I am very fussy when its time for a new sole. The shoemaker gets very clear instructions not to wipe or polish them afterwards. It's an English thing I guess. The English people don't like their things looking new and shiny. Actually, the Scandinavians are pretty good at it, too! Shiny riding boots? Oh please! Have you seen Jamie Hince in shiny shoes, or Kate Moss? Rarely. He even stayed true to this on his and Mosis wedding day! Don't get me wrong, I also love my shiny patent brogues and all sorts of other shoes I wear and love with different outfits, but it's that worn, washed, matt leather sort of look that appeals to me greatly. It's authentic. They can be new, but they shouldn't look it. Scuffmarks welcome! Labels that do the look very well are Acne, Maison Martin Margiela and as the name already suggests - Shabbies Amsterdam (love their bags, too). Take a look:














1. Acne Pistol Short Boots EUR 400,00  http://www.mytheresa.com
2. Maison Martin Margiela EUR 665,00 http://www.maisonmartinmargiela.com
3. Shabbies Amsterdam http://www.bretoniere.nl

11 comments:

The PvdH Journal said...

I hate new boots as well. When I first get a pair I always jump on them and rub off some dirt (age-faking ;)


PvdH

www.ThePvdHJournal.com

My Styleadvisor said...

@PvdH: Hahaha...exactly!

Mikimoto Angel said...

I love that pair of booties. And oh, I learned something new that English people don't like their things looking new and shiny. :-)

I'm a new follower, I hope you follow back. :-)


Much love Mystic Nymph

the nyanzi report said...

aged leather is always good to look at.

julia.a said...

wow, amazing boots :) ;)
http://juliaragoneses.blogspot.com/

Lee Oliveira said...

Oh. those Acnes boots are insane.
Love them
lee x

Fashionistable said...

Oh, I seem to be the odd one out here. Maybe comes from my grandfather always keeping my shoes shiny and new looking. Xxxx

Annabelle Fleur said...

Wow, what an amazing post! I love the worn look on my boots! And of course the Acne boots are super amazing! Love your blog and now following! Maybe you'll have time to visit mine:)

Kisses,
Annabelle
http://vivaluxury.blogspot.com

Mónica C. Welton said...

wow i love those mustard boots!

Love,
www.chicksinfeathers.co.cc

Zarna said...

totally loving your boots!

dressingup-everyday said...

I have booties like those and i love them too. They're amazing.
XX