2011/07/20

Stylish Bands On Record Covers







I raided our huge record collection this weekend looking for some great stylish bands on album covers, front cover it had to be. So this is what I pulled out of the shelf: 
The Beat were a late 70s band from LA. Not only was and is their music timeless, I think they look it, too. Remind me very much of The Strokes! Punk Rock legends the Ramones (1976) - well, hey, speak for themselves, in their iconic and timeless attire. A black leather jacket that runs on the small side (we all like those, don't we) over a fitted tshirt (don't copy the bare midriff guys), torn and ripped skinny jeans, chucks or keds like sneaker, topped of with shaggy bowl hair cuts, were their trademark uniform look, emulated to this day by people all over the world. The Clashs' uniform at the time were urban paint splattered, graffitied clothes with slogans and short spiky hair, before they went onto bondage trousers with zippers and then their Rockabilly look. Their debut album front cover was shot by Kate Simon, opposite the front door of their rehearsal building in Camden Market. Iggy (1977) in his shoulder padded shrunken blazer and skinnies looks pretty timeless and Blondie (1978) always looked beautiful. I can't say how much fun we have had with The Briefs (Steal Yer Heart, 2005) from the US over the years. They sing in a british cockney like accent and have picked punk elements from all kinds of bands and mixed them up: Buzzcock Blazers with ties, skinny jeans and converse, spiky hair topped off with futurictic bent shades and erratic movements. Important: Lots of badges hanging from everything and some pink thrown in somewhere. Got to love The Hives (Veni Vidi Vicious from 2000) for wearing only black and white matching retro tuxedo style suits, with suspenders and white slipper. They look like a boyband or the perfect son in laws, but their music, thankfully, could not be more contrary. The White Stripes' album covers are all stylish, held mostly in black, white and red, but I picked this one from their Icky Thump record (2007), because I love the crazy, over the top, folky embroidered outfits. Love that cover of The Jam (look at Paul Wellers suit and shoes!!!) strolling down Carnaby Street in 1978, all looking good in their typical mod style outfits, while The Undertones (1979) from  Northern Ireland exemplify genuine working-class style in their Doc Martens and parka, that were standard streetwear at the time. The Beastie Boys on the cover of "No Street Till Brooklyn!"(1987) wear typical early New York, East Coast Hip Hop garb, minus the Bling, with hoodies, baggy jeans, white socks in adidas campus and Baseball caps worn to the side.


10 comments:

The Girl Next Door said...

God the Ramones look incredible! you cant beat a bit of distressed leather.

The PvdH Journal said...

I love the Ramones as well! so great to see them together!

xx PvdH -designer and illustrator

www.ThePvdHJournal.com

the nyanzi report said...

i love the ramones cover.

Mónica C. Welton said...

ramones :)

Love,
www.chicksinfeathers.co.cc

Fashionistable said...

What an amazing walk down memory lane and with a handful of wonderful bands.
Walking through Soho about 2 months ago I passed Paul Weller, her smiled and said hello. I nearly fell off the pavement. Xxxx

Karin said...

Thank you for your lovely comment...I am so glad you know the PJ Harvey album, she is my hero, and Let England shake is just the best album ever (after white chalk) xxx

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

What a bunch of excellent bands. This makes me want to get out my LP player. I adore the Ramones. xx

My Styleadvisor said...

to Fashionistable: what a lovely chance encounter. I can imagine you nearly fell off the pavement!!!!

to Karin: PJ Harvey is definitely one of my favourites in 2011! Great Album!

jensotronic said...

My favorite: The Briefs ;-)

Elisa V said...

Ohhhhh I love the 70's and the vinyl covers. My favourite of yours is the one by The Hives!
Keep spreadin the 70's style:)

By the way, this is my blog: www.fluorescent-naive.blogspot.com
I'm following u